Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
October is here and while we would come to expect smaller fall and Halloween sales, the coronavirus — among other factors — has caused this month to look different than years past. For one thing, after months of delay Amazon Prime Day 2020 officially begins tomorrow — and competitors like Target, Walmart and Wayfair have already started their counter sales. What does this mean? More products are offered at slashed prices, including home goods, electronics and more. And while we would normally expect big sales to ramp up come Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it seems that holiday shopping and related sales may kick off early this year.
To better understand how shoppers should take advantage of all the sales and deals available in October, we consulted Michael Bonebright from DealNews.com. “Because the megaretailer is hosting Prime Day on October 13-14, other stores are already scrambling to host their own mid-month events,” Bonebright said. “Thus far, we know that Walmart, Target, and Overstock are all planning to host competing sales — and we expect that list to grow.”
What to buy in October and what can wait
During October, you’ll find fall produce, including apples, butternut squash and pumpkins, at discounted prices across grocery stores, which Bonebright noted could make for a fun pickling or canning activity given our current circumstances (and only if you can do so safely). And with Halloween coming up, we can also expect to see discounts on costumes. Although Bonebright noted that Nov. 1 is technically the time to save the most on a costume, we should see discounts and coupons in the last couple weeks leading up to Halloween. As many people may be opting out of trick-or-treating this year due to the continued spread of coronavirus, it’s more likely Halloween-centric stores will have a larger supply of costumes closer to the holiday. Plus, if you’ve been eyeing a new car, now may be the time to upgrade as October is a month of clearance for car dealerships anticipating new models. However, Bonebright suggested waiting until the end of the month as “sales people will be more likely to make a deal to meet their monthly quotas.”
While shoppers can expect to find savings on a wider range of products, including small appliances, select tech and clothing, Bonebright urged shoppers to save some cash for Black Friday, too, which we may be seeing earlier this year than ever before. Specifically, Bonebright advised shoppers to wait until Black Friday or later to purchase TVs and the upcoming Apple iPhone 12, which has yet to be released. Bonebright also suggested waiting to invest in gift cards since we’ll most likely see superior deals in December. “You can leave the gift cards as a last-minute pre-Christmas purchase,” he said.
What stores are having big sales right now
Amazon is holding its annual Prime Day sale on Oct. 13 and 14. Prime Members can take advantage of deals on everything from small appliances and toys to beauty products, smart home tech and a slew of Amazon products. Additionally, members can shop at Whole Foods Market stores, as well as Amazon physical stores during The Whole Foods Market Prime Day offer, “Spend $10, Get $10.” As NBC News Shopping previously reported, from now until Oct. 14, members can gain up to $50 in credits to use on Prime Day, too.
As in years past, Prime Day has caused select retailers to offer their own comparable sales this month, and there are some unrelated ongoing sales, as well. NBC News Shopping will be covering what you need to know during Amazon Prime Day, as well as frequently updating our category-specific content to bring you the latest sales from home and kitchen to wellness, tech and more. Also be sure to check out our coverage of Walmart, Target and Wayfair, which are having big sales of their own. Below are the sales we’ve rounded up during October.
- Abercrombie & Fitch is offering up to 40 percent off fall styles and up to 50 percent off all clearance items at Abercrombie Kids.
- AeroGarden is offering 20 percent off sitewide, including gardens, seed pod kits and accessories with code GREEN20.
- Aeropostale is giving you 50 to 70 percent off sitewide.
- Belk is giving you daily deals like an extra 60 percent off select brands.
- Costco is providing up to $150 off select Dyson items, including the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Link HP02.
- The Disney Store is offering 40 percent off select costumes and costume accessories for a limited time, as well as up to 50 percent off select toys, clothing, home and more during their Twice Upon A Year sale.
- Keurig is offering 25 percent off beverages when the items are purchased as a part of the Keurig Starter Kit.
- Kohl’s is offering up to 80 percent off clearance items.
- LifeProof is offering 15 percent off all screen protection and 20 percent off the Amplify Glass Glare Guard.
- Lenovo is giving you up to 68 percent off doorbuster items, including select PCs, desktops, laptops and more.
- Lord and Taylor is offering 40 to 60 percent off sitewide.
- Lowe’s is offering up to $500 off select appliances with the applicable promo code through Oct. 21, as well as up to 70 percent off select smart home items.
- Macy’s is providing up to 25 percent off select brands.
- Nordstrom is giving you up to 40 percent off clearance items.
- Nordstrom Rack is offering up to 90 percent off last chance items and up to 70 percent off select fall fashion, as well as sales on select home goods until Oct. 18.
- Olympia Sports is offering an extra 25 percent off team gear with code SPORT25, as well as 50 percent off outdoor footwear and essentials and $10 Wilson long sleeves.
- PlushBedsis offering $1,100 off Organic Bedroom Mattresses plus a Plush Luxury Sheet Set, as well as 20 percent off toppers, bedding and furniture with code PLUSH2020 through Oct. 19.
- STATE Bags is offering up to 75 percent off select items during its Warehouse Sale.
- Target is providing sales on a number of items sitewide during its Deal Days sales event from Oct. 13 until Oct. 14.
- Walmart is offering sales on electronics, home goods, video games and more during its Big save event.
- Wayfair is providing sales on Halloween- and Fall decor, as well as up to 60 percent off select furniture, kitchen, bedding and more.
- Williams-Sonoma is offering an extra 20 percent off clearance with code EXTRA.
- Wilsons Leather is offering an extra 50 percent off sitewide with code PRIME.
Best deals to shop right now
1. Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
The Echo Dot is a great option if you’re looking to gain access to Alexa but don’t need the large speakers. You can use it to conveniently check the weather, make phone calls and adjust smart home controls. Additionally, it’s compact, more affordable than the Echo and comes in a variety of colors, including Sandstone and Plum. And if you want an upgrade from this model, consider the all-new Echo Dot (4th Gen) — which is not on sale.
Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen) $39.99 at Best Buy
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen) $49.99 at Dell
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen) $39.99 at Amazon
2. Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Pro
If you’re looking to upgrade your wireless headphones, consider the Beats Solo Pro. They feature 40 hours of battery life and are ergonomically designed for comfort. They also include active noise cancelling technology to block out distractions and transparency mode and help you hear your surroundings. You can get them in a number of colors, including Red, Light Blue and Black.
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Pro
- Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Pro $199.95 at Amazon
- Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Pro $199.99 at Best Buy
3. Johnston & Murphy Warner Penny Loafer
If you or a loved one could use a new pair of loafers, check out this Johnston & Murphy option. It features a classic design with white stitching for added detail and is made from leather upper and textile lining. Additionally, it included a cushioned footbed for comfort. If you prefer a more casual look, consider the Keating Sneaker.
Johnston & Murphy Warner Penny Loafer
- Johnston & Murphy Warner Penny Loafer $67.90 at Nordstrom
- Johnston & Murphy Warner Penny Loafer $125.99 at Macy’s
- Johnston & Murphy Warner Penny Loafer $119.99 at Johnston Murphy
4. Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse Berene TV Stand
If you’re in the market for a new TV stand, consider this Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse option. It features a rustic and simple design and sports barn-style doors with metal embellishments. Additionally, it can hold TVs up to 65 inches and includes plenty of space for storing gaming consoles and accessories, cords and more. Plus, it comes in a range of colors, including White Oak and Stone Gray.
Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse Berene TV Stand
Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse Berene TV Stand $259.99 at Wayfair
5. Ninja Foodi 8-in-1 Countertop Convection Oven
If you’re looking for an air fryer, toaster or food warmer, consider this countertop oven by Ninja Foodi. It features a sleek design and can also roast, broil, bake and more. Additionally, it comes with a large enough cooking space to make a 13-inch pizza and preheats in one minute. Plus, you can flip it to stand vertically after use for additional counter space.
Ninja Foodi 8-in-1 Countertop Convection Oven
- Ninja Foodi 8-in-1 Countertop Convection Oven $199.99 at Amazon
- Ninja Foodi 8-in-1 Countertop Convection Oven $169.00 at Walmart
6. Ecovacs DEEBOT N79S Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The Ecovacs N79S vacuum cleaner comes with multiple settings, such as automatic mode and max mode for cleaning tougher messes. For convenience, it features voice controls via Alexa and Google Assistant. You can also use the smart app to access over five features including scheduling, cleaning modes, status updates and more. Plus, it includes up to 110 minutes of battery life.
Ecovacs DEEBOT N79S Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Ecovacs DEEBOT N79S Robotic Vacuum Cleaner $199.99 at Amazon
7. AUKEY FHD Webcam, 1080p Live Streaming Camera
If you or your kids are in back-to-back meetings or classes, you may want to invest in a webcam. This AUKEY option features HD video and built-in stereo microphones. You can clip it on a computer monitor or laptop, as well as stand it on a desk. To use, you can connect the device via a USB port and it’s compatible with select Windows, Mac and Android systems.
AUKEY FHD Webcam, 1080p Live Streaming Camera
AUKEY FHD Webcam, 1080p Live Streaming Camera $39.93 at Amazon
More shopping guides and recommendations
Catch up on the latest from NBC News Shopping guides and recommendations and download the NBC News app for full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak