- Today is the first day of Amazon Prime Day and we estimate the promotion to bring $9.91 billion in worldwide sales.
- This would make Prime Day 2020 the biggest Prime Day to date.
- Insider Intelligence analyzes this industry and several others to provide in-depth analyst reports, proprietary forecasts, customizable charts, and more. Learn more about what we offer.
Today marks the beginning of Amazon Prime Day in the US, and we expect this year’s event will be the ecommerce giant’s biggest ever. Worldwide Amazon Prime Day sales will total $9.91 billion, a 43% increase from last year’s $6.93 billion.
In the US alone, sales will reach $6.17 billion, or 62.3% of total sales. Prime Day has logged massive growth since its inception five years ago, with total global sales increasing between 50% and 60% every year. We expect this strong growth to continue as the event reaches more countries—it will be held in Brazil and Turkey for the first time—and sticks to the two-day window, which first started last year.
Prime Day 2020 will differ from previous years in terms of timing, demand, and impact on the overall holiday season. For the first time, Prime Day will be held in October instead of July, which will likely result in consumers focusing less on products for the summer and back-to-school, and instead treating the event as an early lead-in to the holiday season.
According to August research from Criteo, 75% of Prime members said they were likely to purchase some of their holiday presents on Prime Day. This trend is expected to be further bolstered by the pandemic-induced shift toward ecommerce that will likely drive new demand and more Prime memberships this year.
Want to read more stories like this one? Here’s how you can gain access:
- Join other Insider Intelligence clients who receive this Briefing, along with other Media, Advertising, & Marketing forecasts, briefings, charts, and research reports to their inboxes each day. >> Become a Client
- Explore related topics more in depth. >> Browse Our Coverage
Are you a current Insider Intelligence client? Log in here.